Monday, August 1, 2011

THAT'S NOT THE WAY I REMEMBER IT --PART II

"Mr. Scott Comes A'Courting"......  continued.

     My Aunt Pearl had a severe vision problem since birth,  When she was twelve years old the family was resting on the front porch in the evening after a hot summer day.  Someone called attention to the large moon.  Pearl asked that it be point  out for  she could not see it. Her pareents were shocked that she could not see such a large object.  She was taken to the local country doctor for an eye examination.  He was sorry to report that she had cataracts which were probably present at birth. He knew only one hospital in the state that would attempt the surgery.  Arrangements were made with the hospital in Charlottesville.  Pearl was dressed in her Sunday best, given a small satchel with clothes and personal needs, a letter with her name and family information.   There was just enough room for her lunch. As she stepped on the train, one can only imagine the fear and trepidation the young girl carried with her.  The same feelings were probably doubled for her parents and family back home.  She had the surgery which helped her vision somewhat.  Her parents were told by letter that she would never see any better than she did after the surgery.  They were a family of deep religious faith who accepted their lot in life knowing that with God's help they would prevail
     It did not matter to Mr. Scott that Pearl wore thick glasses; she could see well enough to do the chores such as milking the cows. She didn't need her sight to play the piano.   She made the most wonderful, buttery pound cake you ever tasted. She would have been a good wife and mother although she was nearly blind. I believe  she had doubts about meeting her obligations of a wife and mother.  She remained a spinster, and Mr. Scott still came a'courting.

     So often in writing memoirs we feel it is imperative we have a lot of facts in order to write a memory of someone in our past.  Quite often the opposite is true.  With too much data we become overwhelmed and boring.  Then, our dilemma is what to cut out.  This is possibly the hardest thing a memory writer is called on to do. I use William Zinsser's book "Writing About Your Life" (cited in another post) in my Memoir classes.  I respect his knowledge in capturing one's memories on paper.   He writes of proven ways to reduce your information in order to construct an attention getting memoir.  I have used one of those in the memoir, "Mr. Scott Comes A'Courting." I chose my Aunt Pearl as the main topic but I didn't want to write everything I knew about her.  Let's face it--no matter what we do to fill up our days---some of those things are boring!  After choosing Aunt Pearl, I decided her blindness and how it affected her decision not to marry was the heart of the memoir.  Of course I would include how she discovered her blindness and her family's reaction.  I would find it difficult to write Mr. Scott's memoir because I did not know anything about his feelings and what he did six days a week.  I knew only of Sunday afternoons, when Mr. Scott came a'courting.  

     I hope this post has been helpful/encouraging if you are planning to write your memoirs. 
Comments are encouraged. 

    

No comments:

Post a Comment