Saturday, September 22, 2012

TROUBLED TIMES

I went to the movies last Tuesday afternoon. It was not an action picture or a torrid romance, nor was it an animated show  for children.  Some critics call it pure propaganda, others view it as a professional means of perpetuating the extreme political views of Obama.  I have not decided on the exact category for the film.  Some critics are asking , "why movie theaters would show it?"  As Americans we know the answer to that.  Freedom of speech.... and money.  I had heard very little about the movie before I went to the theatre.  I became  curious when the people waiting to go in were told that it would be a few minute's wait.  The patrons in the previous show had "trashed" the theatre! My friends and I were just a little apprehensive about seeing the film but we were not going to turn back at this point.

As I settled into my seat, preparing to watch a movie I had not heard of until a few days before, I had mixed feelings.  One was one of apprehension.  Why would senior citizens (students were at school) "trash" a movie theatre?  Was it that controversial? I felt a twinge of guilt because I probably wouldn't tell any of my friends who had different political views that I came.  But here I was and I would try to watch it with an open mind.  After all I had decided who I would vote for.

The movie began and I was pleased with its professional presentation.  Of course I knew some of it was propaganda but I thought the facts were well documented.  I'll have to admit that I slept through the part where Obama returned Churchill's statue to Britain.  I'm glad I slept through that---my blood pressure may have gone up if I had seen that one.

I heard the vitriolic comments about so called injustices committed by the United States.  Silently I refuted a greater part of them because no one or no country is perfect.  My mind went back to a kinder, gentler time when politics could be discussed in a civil manner-at the dinner table, preparing for a school mock election, and in a social setting. The House and Senate could unite on matters that not only affected American citizens but the World Community. Again, it is not a perfect system and we voted out those who were "asleep at the switch."

It has been several days since I watched the movie. I still feel a sense of loss and depression.  The loss is for the country I see disappearing bit by bit every day.  We are in troubled times.  The depression is for the days of civility and respect toward others that I suspect will continue to be memories.

Go and see OBAMA-2016.    I hope the theater isn't trashed.

Darlene Eichler 9/22/12

Your comments are welcomed.




























































































































 

No comments:

Post a Comment