Thursday, June 13, 2013

LIVING WITH PARKINSON'S

I admit I live with two men!  No there is no "other man." There is no ménage a trios'  or practice of bigamy.. The other man is not truly a human being but a disease given the name Parkinson's Disease for the  researcher who identified it--James Parkinson.  I call the progressive neurological condition Mr. Parkinson to portray him as an enemy and bad guest.  He was never invited, never welcomed because of his intrusive nature. He is overbearing, mean spirited, unfeeling, a thief, a con man a man of cunning ways..  At times my means of fending him off seem to work, at other times they don't.  I never know when to expect one of his attacks. He has the tactics of a smart general...always attacking when I least expect .  He wants me to surrender but I would never dream of it.

Let's go back a few years when this uninvited guest came into my life. Of all the diseases out there, I never thought I would contract Parkinson's.  It was way down the scale of possibilities.  Cancer had already reared its devious head and with prayer, good doctors and a spirit of determination it was overcome.  My mother and her sister were not so fortunate

I have entered the twilight years of my life and I want to do my part in making it the best time possible.  As a librarian I am a planner, not just for daily activities but for the strong forces in life.  For me that happens to be Parkinson's Disease.  My plan is to learn all I can, be in a Parkinson's support  group  and always look up [hard when you have Parkinson's}.  I'm  realizing everyday that the busier I stay the better I'm able to handle the disease.   If I live long enough I know I won't be able to be as active as I am now..  I have many interests that stimulate the mind .... I pray I'll never stop learning. I would like to teach as long as possible.

This was not meant to be a negative post.  I would like for readers who have degenerative diseases to know that attitude is a large part of the battle. Join a support group.  You will be glad you did. And first and foremost stay interested in the world around you. You have many memoirs to write!


Comments are encouraged.                                                                                                                                                                                                                        
.


                                                                                               

2 comments:

  1. Stay strong!!! Thank you for writing this...now I'm inspired to research migraine support groups in our area. :) Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. IT WILL HELP MORE THAN YOU CAN IMAGINE.

    ReplyDelete