Sunday, August 25, 2013

THOUGHTS OF DROPPING OUT OF THE HIGH TECH WORLD



"Oh, Nana, you've gone high tech!" This said by a grandchild after I spent thirty minutes trying to type in those tiny letters on this device called a "smart phone." That title intimidated me from the beginning.  Why couldn't Apple have named it, "I'll Be Kind to-- fill in the blank with an age category or computer literacy score? Example: I'll BE Kind (to)Little old Ladies with a Computer Literacy score of +1(she can turn on the computer). Okay, let's move on from the phone(really it's a computer in disguise) to the desk top as opposed to the laptop. I've been asked why don't I just have a laptop?  I tell them it's very simple...after raising four children, including a set of twins, I don't want anything that might have to sit on my lap!(Just kidding great-grand's)

This desk top was born into the highest tech family.  I'm sure it could trace it's lineage way back into the fifties at least. It's ancestors go back to adding machine days.  That's just an aside.  What is important now is they have developed on the fast tract, long passing the liberal arts majors and those who still cannot set their digital watches.

Did you ever say to your children, "Don't you give me any back talk. You're the child and I'm the adult(meaning I'm smarter than you are)."  Well, you can't say that to a computer.  They are smarter and if you haven't realized that, you don't spend a lot of time around one. Now this desktop is a beauty--it is all in one piece--no ugly tower to take up room.  No, this has the CPU (shocked that I can use that term?) built into the monitor, therefore it requires less room. Everything is good so far--let's keep going.

I think there is something evil inside that lies dormant for days, even weeks, sometimes months, and then it strikes with a vengeance. Passwords suddenly become obsolete, whole posts disappear, along with chapters of books, never to be recovered. No amount of pleading, or crying will bring them back.

And then there are the strange sounds which emanate with no warning.
It sounds as if someone is frying chicken inside it's workings.  I figure that some day it will blow up.  I'm uncertain at the present time if I want to see the carnage.  Perhaps a good purging would help!

I suppose I know more than I think I know but it is never enough. I won't give up because my parents' voices ring in my years.  "Never give up."  But they never had to deal with a computer! 

Darlene Eichler--always open for a computer lesson.

Thank you for taking time to read this post.  Your comments are welcomed.

No comments:

Post a Comment