Monday, January 4, 2016

IS CHRISTMAS OVER?

Tucker, my thirteen year old grandson, noticed that some of the neighbors were taking down their Christmas decorations the day after Christmas Day.  His question was, "is Christmas really over.
My answer was quick and firm.  "No, Christmas is not over until Epiphany on January 6.  Having been a member of a liturgical church for most of my life I was quite aware of the celebration in the church.

I'm afraid the answer to his question in the secular world is, yes.  Some stores had Valentines and Easter bunnies out before the 25th arrived.  Even some of the clerks were complaining.

We spend so much time dreaming and planning for this Christian holiday.  How can the spirit leave so quickly on the 26th?  In most of us it does not go away on the 26th or January 6th.  The spirit of Christmas is love--love for family, friends and even our enemies. You say that is impossible to do.  I agree it is the hardest thing you will ever do.  I'm sure you notice how friendlier sales persons are during the season.  And most of us reciprocate.  Why is some of that great caring spirit lost on December 26th?

I remarked to one of my adult grandchildren how I had this feeling that I was still waiting on Christmas to come.  I feel that something hasn't arrived.  could it have ben the warm weather that threw us off?  Maybe it is the constant news of killings and tornadoes and devastation by wind and flooding?  I hope it comes to me soon--I don't like the feeling.

I wish all of my readers a healthy and peaceful New Year.  I promise to write more posts in 2016.
Darlene

No comments:

Post a Comment