Thursday, April 7, 2016

My Memoir Class


I am always talking or writing about my memoir class.  Not only are they great writers but they are compassionate, sympathetic and concerned about one another and their teacher.  In my experience of groups of similar backgrounds -same ethnic groups, live in the same locale, have many things in common, have few problems "getting along." (Unless of course they are family!) Just kidding!  This class negates that theory.  They are an eclectic group, several from New York City, others from Update New York, New Jersey, Virginia, North Carolina,   Texas, Ireland, and England.  There are retired educators, nurses, business people, librarians, artists, social workers, therapists, and others.

I don't remember any disagreements,  although their experiences are so different.  Their writing tends to bond the group together as a family. They write for different purposes--some to record family history. Others write for healing, some for the pure pleasure of writing and a few as the first step to expand their writing into novels. No matter the reason they come every Wednesday morning from 10-12.  I am thankful. I believe I receive more than they do. Eachonevin their own way has given me courage and strength to fight the battle over Parkinson's and RA,  these two tough foes, add to that recent gallbladder surgery and I began to think I would have to give up teaching.  Then I remembered my mantra in my book "You Don't Look Sick. Get up, dress up, show up and never give up.  I'm giving it my best and I think  we will have another great session beginning on March 9, 2016.

Thanks to each of you for being there for me.

Darlene






Darlene Eichler

No comments:

Post a Comment